Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Teeny Tiny Garden

For the past two weekends I have been working very hard in my garden.

Well, "garden" is probably a bit of an exaggeration. It's really more like a small patio, but it's so nice to have a little bit of outdoor space even though I live in a very dense city. I dream of living in the country someday, but until then I am determined to make this little spot as cheerful as it can be. It's actually really nice out there. For some reason we get a lot of breezes in my neighborhood, so even though the climate is generally pretty humid, it's very pleasant on most days in the spring, early summer and fall. And on summer evenings, too.

I found some really great pots and planters, wrought iron ornaments and garden statues at a discount store. I usually buy vintage or thrift store stuff, but I ran across these and couldn't pass them up. They were so colorful and interesting (and inexpensive, too). I also bought some Ikea hanging planters, garden chairs, a metal shelf, and a small metal table. It took a while to get everything home since I don't drive. I made several trips a day and carted everything home on the bus. I probably looked a little alarming, what with all the bags and things tied onto my cart and strapped to myself with bits of rope. Probably not unlike a decorator crab.

Here are the results of my labors:

View from back steps.

A variety of plants: lantana, geranium, sweet potato vine, dusty miller, rosemary, mint, etc...

A silver rabbit in my blueberry tree.

Another view.

Hanging planters and my neighbor's lantern.

Shrooms.

Shrubbery.

A little magenta celosia with creeping jenny.